The Design and Manufacturing Engineer for Interface Products is responsible for the design, development and manufacturing of Bowmar products for commercial and military aerospace applications using Lean Manufacturing and Lean Product Development processes and tools. New product development, as well as, sustaining engineering responsibilities fall under this position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Design electronic and electro-mechanical products, specifying components and materials required to meet customer specifications for operation, reliability and performance.
- Design and fabricate custom test equipment to verify products meet specified customer operating requirements.
- Author test equipment operating procedures and product test procedures.
- Analyze, troubleshoot and define repair requirements for customer repair returns and in-process non-conformance conditions.
- Perform root cause failure analysis and provide short and long term corrective action plans.
- Support program management by analyzing customer specifications to develop product technical proposals and bills of material for quote submittals.
- Estimate non-recurring engineering and production labor times for product quotation.
- Develop manufacturing routings, work instructions, procedures, illustrations and standard work sheets including time observations to execute the manufacturing of military and aerospace products in the least waste way.
- Participate in and/or lead product design process and reviews using Lean Product Development, Least Waste Way Project Planning and Value Stream Mapping.
- Engage in Continuous Improvement activities resulting in the Highest Quality, Lowest Cost and Shortest Lead-time.
- Execute annual Policy Deployment goals for the Engineering Department ensuring organizational commitments and goals are met.
The above list reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal function of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in this job.
Skills & Abilities
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects.
- Must exhibit a positive and professional attitude
- Must Be Self- Controlled, Self -Motivated and Organized with an Analytical Mindset
- Must have the desire and ability to mentor and coach co-workers.
- Must have the Ability to Work with Employees at All Levels of the Organization
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and at least 10 years related experience or 15 years of experience in military/aerospace electronics.
- Experience in a Lean environment
- Experience with Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
- Experience with AutoCad, Solid Works, Solid Works PCB, and ORCAD
- Familiar with C and C++ programming.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time, walk and use hands to finger, handle or feel frequently, and stand, sit, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and reach with hands and arms occasionally.
- Vision requirements include close, distant, and color vision, along with depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Frequent lifting required of up to 10 pounds and occasional lifting required up to 50 pounds.
- Incumbent will be exposed to general office and production working conditions that include exposure to florescent lights and may include risk of radiation from computer monitor and electrical shock, and will occasionally work near moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles. The typical work environment has moderate noise.
Bowmar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.