Lead the engineering team in the design, development and manufacture of mechanical, electronic and electro-mechanical devices for the aerospace and defense markets. Create processes and systems within the AS9100 framework to ensure products are designed and manufactured to meet all customer specifications. Participate as a member of the Bowmar leadership team bringing the vision of long-term sustainability to life. Be an active partner in Bowmar’s growth. Provide guidance and input on emerging technologies in engineering and aerospace feeding Bowmar’s strategic plan.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working leader guiding design engineers in the development of products, processes, fixtures/tooling for machining and assembly.
- Use the tools of the Toyota Production System to design and develop products and processes in the least waste way with a focus on highest quality, lowest cost and shortest lead-time.
- Provide guidance in the manufacture of high tolerance, complex gears and gear heads.
- Use customer specifications to develop solutions for HMI cockpit devices to include NVIS lighting requirements and various display technologies.
- Work within the requirements of the Department of Defense including cyber security to ensure compliance with all customer documentation and manufacturing flow downs.
- Capture management of opportunities both new and existing to include proposals, plans and quotes.
- Oversee the research and development of new products and procedures.
- Hire, train, and mentor engineers and supporting staff.
- Develop project plans use Least Waste Way Project Planning. Manage team to meet goals, document and mitigate risks, and meet cost and profit objectives.
- Use policy deployment to develop and track short and long-term goals.
- Review, approve, or modify product designs.
- Prepare budgets, bids, and cost estimates.
- Negotiate research contracts.
- Draft proposals and reports for clients.
- Improve manufacturing processes and advance scientific research.
- Check technical accuracy of work.
- Coordinate activities of department with balance of company.
- Work closely with Purchasing and Quality in the selection and development of suppliers.
- Provides technical guidance to product operations and determine causes of rejected parts and their disposition.
The above list reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal function of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in this job.
Core Competencies: These competencies are identified by Bowmar leadership and should be demonstrated by all employees across the enterprise. Bowmar Core competencies are listed below:
Position Specific Competencies: Core competencies identified by Bowmar leadership and determined unique to the position and necessary for the individual to successfully accomplish the position’s functions.
|Excellent Communication||Customer Orientation||Analytical Thinking|
|Fostering Innovation||Managing Performance||Developing Others|
Skills & Abilities:
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have effective leadership skills with experience facilitating group meetings and interview sessions.
- Must be self-directed and goal oriented with good interpersonal skills.
- Must have highly developed listening, persuasion, and negotiation skills based on analytical evaluations.
- Must have ability to envision, create, implement, and gain acceptance of new function design, project management plans, and short and long-term strategic plans.
- Must be able to read blueprints.
- Must have the ability to organize, multi-task, prioritize and be flexible.
- Must exhibit a positive and professional attitude and appearance.
- Must have experience with the Microsoft Office suite of products. (Word, Excel)
- Must be a “Team Player”.
- Requires a Bachelors of Engineering Degree either Mechanical or Electrical and at least six years related experience, including supervision.
Level of Supervision
- This position is responsible for the supervision of Product Engineers and Designers.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time, talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle or feel frequently, and stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms occasionally.
- Incumbent must be able to write and speak clearly.
- Must meet vision criteria per QP-005, and also have good depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Occasional lifting of up to 10 pounds.
Incumbent will be exposed to general office working conditions that include exposure to florescent lights and may include risk of radiation from computer monitor along with exposure to production working conditions, including working near moving mechanical parts. The typical work environment has quiet office noise.
Bowmar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.