Reports to: Director of operations
We are searching for a Tool Maker that can set-up and operate machine tools including, but not limited to, lathes, grinders, and mills used in tool making. Build and/or repair production tools such as jigs, fixtures, and dies, etc. Make complex set-ups, maintain set-up, and operate a variety of tool grinding machines to close tolerances. Run production on a variety of manual and automated (CNC) machines in a robust manufacturing environment.
Maintain and dispense a variety of tooling and supply items from the tool crib. This position is excellent for anyone with hands-on expertise looking to work for a growing company.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform a variety of work on production tools using blueprints, sketches, drawings, written, and verbal descriptions using tool room equipment.
- Occasionally develop production tools from a description of function without prints or sketches.
- Perform inspection as required for tool room products.
- Make decisions regarding methods and procedures to complete assigned job.
- Analyze and repair breakdown of all types of tooling and equipment.
- Similar or less skilled tasks within the classification as required. Such as the daily operation of all machinery and equipment for the production of products. (see Machinist Tech Job Description)
- Braze, solder, or otherwise make cutting tools.
- Performs a variety of grinder work on simple and complex cutting tools from blueprints and/or specific verbal or written instructions.
- Must have completed a recognized toolmaker’s apprentice program.
- Experience with Lathe (Sheldon, Harding), Mill (Tree), Surface Grinder (Grand Rapids, Boyar Schelts), Cylindrical Grinder (Crystal Lake), Jig Bore (Moore).
- Experience with Precision Production Tolling Preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of shop math.
- Have the ability to read and interpret blueprints, sketch drawings, and written instructions.
- Have working knowledge of tool and fixturing techniques.
- Must have the ability to operate designated machinery to required tolerances.
- Knowledge of tool design, metal properties, and layout of machining and assembly procedures
- Indoor work – air-conditioned
- Sitting or standing – little bending
- Exposure to high and low-speed moving machinery
- Exposure to sharp tools
- Exposure to grease, oil, cutting fluids and solvents
- Must purchase and maintain basic tools
- Exposure to metal chips dust and trimmings
- May be exposed to a variety of hazardous materials
- Occasional heavy lifting or moving objects
- Moderate noise level
This is a full-time position that includes holidays, vacation, and overtime pay and health insurance benefits.
Bowmar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.